Akash Sudan : One Promising Fast Bowler from Delhi Ranji Team…
- Date of Birth: 07.05.1993
- City: Delhi
- Attribute: Fast Bowling All-Rounder
- Style: Left Handed Batsman & Right Arm Fast
- Major Teams: Delhi Senior Team, North Zone (During Age groups)
- Clubs: RPCA Cricket Club, Tedco Cricket Club, Chand Khanna Cricket Club, Times of India, FCI – Food Corporation of India
Delhi is one of those parts of India which has given our National Team many successful international cricketers. Over the years, the competition has only increased and now the intensity is such that even making it to a Ranji Team is no less than an achievement as there are thousands and lakhs of aspiring cricketers in every state eager to make it into the playing XI of a State and National team.
One such player who has silently rose through the ranks is fast bowling all-rounder Akash Sudan. Yes, the same bowler who made his presence felt in debut match which propelled Delhi into the knockouts of Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy in 2018. Akash Sudan just like many other kids started playing cricket from a very tender age of 5, courtesy his father Sunil Sudan who was his first coach and source of inspiration.
Akash who studied at Frank Anthony Public School also started excelling at school level cricket as he started coming up with exciting individual performances both with the bat as well as with the ball. Akash once scored a century as well as took a 6wkt haul for his school team while on a tour to Dehradun, he scored 3 back to back centuries alongwith fifers in every match he played. Akash was “Man of the Series” in that school level tournament. On the back of his brilliant performances, Akash was awarded Kapil Dev’s Sweater by renowned Cricket Coach Sir Rajinder Pal (also coach of Kapil Dev) which Akash has preserved with him till date.
Akash soon joined RPCA Cricket Academy in Delhi and that’s how he began his cricketing journey. Akash started performing consistently at Club Level. Over the years, Akash gave some robust performances as an all-rounder while some of his most memorable performances have come in the all important DDCA League and its affiliated tournaments. In the 2017, DDCA League, Akash came up with 37 wkts in 8 matches alongwith a record 8 consecutive half centuries. It was his all-round show in DDCA Circuit which attracted everyone’s attention in the cricketing community.
Akash also performed exceedingly well representing North Zone team in the All India Championship in 2016/17 with best bowling figures of 6/30 vs Rohtak. Akash also took fifers and scored half centuries each in the semi-finals and finals of the All India Championship vs South Zone and West Zone respectively as he continued to stamp his authority as a dependable all-rounder. Akash also played Inter College Level representing DAV Jalandhar College and he was one important player of his college team too due to his fiery pace bowling and ability to chip in with crucial cameos.
Akash’s career defining moment arrived when he came up with sparkling performances in a major DDCA Affiliated T20 Tournament in 2018 where all domestic and IPL Players participate in. Akash took 14 wkts in 3 matches including a fifer vs Rajasthan Cricket Association. His fast bowling was noticed by the selectors which resulted in him making it into the Delhi Ranji Team. Akash who currently trains under former Indian Cricketers Madan Lal and Ajay Verma was also considered for IPL Team Delhi Capitals in 2019 however an infection ruled him out which took him almost 8 months to make a comeback. On his T20 Debut for Delhi in 2016, Gautam Gambhir, the then captain handed over the crucial 18th and 20th over to Sudan and Akash did not disappoint his skipper either! Defending a low total 14 runs required in last 4 overs, Akash bowled a maiden over with 2 wickets which is a record for any debutant in T20’s followed by 5 dot balls in the 20th over as Delhi won the match by 1 run qualifying for knockouts in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
Speaking with Cricketgraph, Akash shared “Obviously everyone wants to represent India & play IPL but I am going step by step. I am working hard for the upcoming season and want to give my best for my state Delhi in all formats. I am particularly thankful to Gautam Gambhir bhai who is not only my role model but he has also played a crucial role in my cricketing journey. Also there have been major contributions from Manoj Prabhakar sir and Madan Lal sir who went out of their way to support me and I got an opportunity to play for Delhi in the Ranji finals vs Vidharbha”
Some Crucial Statistics: (across all levels)
- Height: 6ft 2 inches
- 5wkt Hauls: 22
- Best Bowling Figures: 7/20 in 8 overs representing DAV Jalandhar in 2015/16
- Highest Speed: 142 kmph
- 100’s – 17
- Highest Individual Score: 135* vs Dehradun Club
- A 6wkt haul & century in same match for Frank Anthony Public School in 2003/04
- 6wkt haul and 90* at no.10 in Delhi U16 Trial match followed by a hat-trick in 2nd DDCA Trial Match
- 3 consecutive centuries and 3 fifers in 3 matches for Frank Anthony Public School in Dehradun Tour 2003/04 (knocks of 105*, 117* and 135*)
- Man of the Series Award received Kapil Dev’s Sweater from Kapil Dev’s Coach Sir Rajinder Pal
- 7/20 for DAV Jalandhar College on Debut in Inter College Championship 2015/16
All India & Top Division Club Level
- 6/30 vs Rohtak in All India Championship representing North Zone Team 2016/17
- 5/8 in 4 overs with 2 maidens vs ONGC in All India Public Sector Tournament in 2017/18
- 5/27 vs Delhi Audit at Chandigarh representing FCI (Food Corporation of India) in 2017/18
- 5/58 in 24 overs in semi finals vs South Zone in All India Championship 2016/17
- 5/78 in 21 overs vs West Zone in All India Championship 2016/17 (Also scored half centuries in semi-finals and finals in the same matches where he took fifers)
- Best Performer Award from North Zone Team 2016/17 season in All India Championship
- 37 wkts & 8 half centuries in 8 matches with best bowling figures of 6/41 in DDCA League representing Tedco Cricket Club in 2017
- 14 wkts in 3 matches in DDCA Affiliated T20 Tournament where major Domestic and International players participate. (fifer vs Rajasthan Cricket Association followed by 4wkt hauls vs Sonnet Cricket Club and Vijay Dahiya Cricket Club.
5 Best Cricket Moments till now:
- When I first met Gautam Gambhir bhai after being called up for practice for Senior Team.
- My first call up for Delhi in T20’s
- Helping Delhi win on my debut match with a double wicket maiden over getting Delhi qualified for knockouts.
- The day I got a Ranji trophy call up as an Ishant Sharma’s replacement, that was some big shoes to fill in!
- Created a record for any Debutant in T20 bowing double wicket maiden over for Delhi in Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy’16, great feeling of contributing in a teams’s win on debut!
- Playing Ranji Trophy finals vs Vidarbha in 2018
- Getting recognized by Kapil Dev’s Coach Rajinder Pal Sir during my school level days.