Islam Gymkhana emerge Champions of T20 Salar Jung Tournament’21
Mumbai: Hosts Islam Gymkhana produced another fine match-winning performance and emerged champions handing Muslims United Sports Club a 6-wicket defeat in the final of the 71st Nawab Salarjung Invitation T20 Cricket Tournament, organised by Islam Gymkhana under the auspices of the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA), and played at the Islam Gymkhana ground, Marine Drive on Saturday afternoon. Islam Gymkha have won the title after almost a decade.
The highlight of Islam Gymkhana’s triumph was the brilliant economical bowling spell by off-spinner Salman Khan who picked up five wickets for 15 runs and middle order batsmen Sairaj Patil who scored a swashbuckling 36-balls 96 runs and Hardik Tamore’s steady unbeaten knock of 40 runs.
Muslim United deciding to bat after winning the toss started positively and scored 23 quick runs by the third over. However, after Salman was introduced into the attack Muslim United started to lose wickets at regular intervals and lost the momentum before they were dismissed for 154 in 20 overs. Number seven bat Vaibhav Chougule scored 57 runs and rescued the inning. Mussavir Khote played a perfect supporting role for Salman as he took 2 wickets for 17 runs.
In reply, Islam Gymkhana after initial hiccups managed to cruise to victory as they surpassed the opponents total with plenty to spare as they scored 157 runs from 15.3 overs. Islam Gymkhana innings suffered early blows as their talented young opener Musheer Ahmed Khan for once failed to get going and was out cheaply for just six runs and with just 15 runs on the board. The home team lost two more quick wickets and were reeling at 40 for 3 by the sixth over. But, number five batsman Patil turned things around as he smashed the rival bowlers to all corners of the ground hitting 11 boundaries and five sixes and ensure Islam Gymkhana’s success. Tamore made a useful contribution and his valuable innings contained just four hits to the ropes.
Brief scores (final):
Muslim United Sports Club 154 all out, 20 overs (Vaibhav Chougule 57; Salman Khan 4 for 15, Mussavir Khote 2 for 17) lost to Islam Gymkhana 157 for 4 wickets, 15.3 overs (Hardik Tamore 40*, Sairaj Patil 96; Vinayak Bhoir 2 for 26). Result: Islam Gymkhana won by 6 wickets.
- Man-of-the-final: Sairaj Patil (Islam Gym) – 96 runs.
- Best batsman: Musheer Ahmed Khan (Islam Gym) – 254 runs.
- Best bowler: Salman Khan (Islam Gym) – 10 wickets.
- Most emerging player: Musheer Ahmed Khan (Islam Gym) – 254 runs + 6 wickets.
- Man-of-the-tournament: Sairaj Patil (Islam Gym) – 244 runs + 7 wickets.
Top 3 Scorers:
- Musheer Khan (Islam Gymkhana) : 254 runs in 4 innings @84.67 & strike rate of 156.79
- Sairaj Patil (Islam Gymkhana) : 244 runs in 4 innings @61.00 & strike rate of 203.33
- Kevin Almeida (Muslim United Sports Club): 200 runs in 4 innings @66.67 & strike rate of 152.67
Top 3 wicket-takers:
- Salman Khan (Islam Gymkhana) : 10 wkts in 4 innings @10.10 & econ of 7.59
- Vinayak Bhoir (Muslim United SC) : 9 wkts in 4 innings @10.67 & econ of 6.40
- Khizar Dafedar (Souvenir CC) : 6 wkts in 2 innings @5.17 & econ of 5.17